Sunday, August 28, 2011

X-Men: First Class (2011)





Now I'm going to be the first to say that I went
to see all 4 previous "X-Men" films
I remember going to see the very first "X-Men"
opening night in 2000 and I have seen
all of them since and I have enjoyed each and everyone.

I don't have any complaints about them at all.
They were very good and I'll always
think they were good. I have also enjoy
the X-Men for many years in every media
be it comics, animation, video games or the movies.

I would have to say I was kind of concerned
about this whole "First Class" thing at the very start and whated to see how it
played out. After viewing the movie I would have to say those doubts were
greatly unfounded. This movie is excilent.

It is a Origin story of how "the X-Men" came to be. It starts off brilliantly with the
scene in the concentration camp much like the first did. There was alot of talk about
giving Magneto his own film, but I thought that would be unwarranted being this servers
the purpose. I like How they followed both Erik Lehnsherr / Magneto and Charles Xavier
separately right up until they met becasue both of them had there own story and unique
perspective on life and the people around them.

Also you get to see pretty much everything, The from the creation of Cerebro
to the blackbird, to How Magneto gets his helmet, to How the characters get
their superhero/villain names, why Mystique sides with Magneto, to the accident
that cripples Charles and the mistake Hank McCoy makes that turns him into "The Beast"

The movie covers so much ground but it doesn't seem to move fast it doesn't rush
things, this move gives everything it wants to say and do time to say it and do it.
also this film is not only a superhero film but some what of a period piece
being that it takes place in the 1960's (when the first issue of The Uncanny X-Men came out)
and uses the back drop of the Cuban Missile Crisis as a back drop to help propel the story.

But at its core this movie was a story about two friends of different points of view
and what they built together and the events that would that would break this friendship
and set off one of the greatest feuds and rivalries in all of comic book history...

Now with that said I would like to say this film was truly amazing the script
was impressive all the characters were pretty much as you see them in the books
the writing was amazing just the conversations of Erik and Charles were making me
smile so much. there was great dialog in this at times it can be very funny,
as they hint about what the future will hold. Also some very humorous scenes
such as the appearance of Wolverine.
I was kind of leery about him being in it, but then again my fears were put
to rest and the scene was very funny. I would have to say it was akin to the appearance
of Arnold in The Expendable. This is long before his appearance in X-Men and he is still
suffering the effect of loosing his memory at the end of "Origins" you just seem him of a
minute and he has one line and its funny.

Alone with the excellent writing was the excellent acting.. I loved everyone in their
part especially James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and more importantly
Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr / Magneto. This guy was Magneto he owned
that part as a young Erik Lehnsherr and just exuded power and evil when he finally
embraced it. I thought he did an amazing job as one of the most Baddest
Bad Guys of all time.

Also lets not forget Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw. I have to mention him to be part of the
6 degrees of Kevin bacon, LOL! Now he was a good villain in this but then again
he is good in pretty much everything and was excellent in setting up the man
that would be come Magneto.

The Visual effects were of course spectacular, they refined Mystique's transformation.
and the "Teleporting" effect As well as I thought Emma Frost's Diamond form was very cool. I thought the Beast make-up was very well done, as well as things like Banshee's scream and Darwin's "survival skills"
I was just amazingly impressed with this whole movie from the costume design, to sets
to the comic and fan references like The hellfire club. I can't say anything bad about
it at all. This is one of the best movies this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment