Friday, August 26, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)


Once again we hit the high seas with the world's
greatest pirate Captain Jack Sparrow! on his
next and some what solo adventure.

But will this new and 4th installment of the
once powerful franchise sail claim waters
or be a total shipwreck?

Personally I thought is was a very well done
film and you get what you pay for that is
Johnny Depp being all weird and odd as the
lovable and death defying Captain Jack.

The movie starts as usual with Jack in a
bit of a scrape in which he get out of with his signature style.
and he is off on his quest to find the Fountain of Youth which he started
at the end of the 3rd film.

Now you can tell that there is a laps in time in this film between the
two films (the 3rd and 4th) Personally I know there would be a 4th it
was just a matter of when. They don't say how much time has passed
but I think it is a realistic amount between the two films.
it has been 4 years since the end of the 3rd film so I would
think it would be about that story wise as well.

Also back again are some of the original cast like the loyal Mr. Gibbs
and Jack's rival Barbossa and also another appearance by
Keith Richards as Jack father Captain Teague.
I don't think they could have one of these movies with out some
of these characters. And as for the inclusion of the most famous
pirate of all not including Jack is Black Beard as the main villain
I didn't find he was as cool or as interesting as Davey Jones
but he was an excellent villain, ruthless and pure evil but
with a certain flair which made him very likeable and
enjoyable as a character.

Now as for the story I have no real complaints. It was
a quest to the ends of the earth and a race against time that's
what makes these movies good. there is always movement
always something new and something to see.

I would also have to say the scenery was impressive
plenty of sweeping and location shots. These movies are always
good for this like that as well as production design.
The writing was good as well and there were plenty
of nice tongue in cheek jokes in there that will give you
a chuckle or a laugh.

The music was the same as the others although there was
ar times a bit of a difference in it though.
and finally I have to say the stunts where of course
impressive to say the least but that is a given with this series.
You are eager to see what crazy thing/escape or daring do
jack will pull off next.

Effects wise it wasn't over the top like the previous films
The effects were I thought all were very subtle and somewhat
more realistic. There were not giant women made out of crabs,
maelstroms, skeleton crews or beards made out of tentacles.
But there were some very nice visual effects. I thought the Mermaids
were very well done and looked amazing. The whole "Mermaid battle"
was both a bit frighting and awesome at the same time.
They truly impressively done.
I also thought the Death of Black Beard and his "skeletonizing"
reminded me of the face melting in Raiders of the lost Ark
but is was very cool. Although I did expect more from the
Zombies, but they looked pretty good either way.

I must say I did like this movie and true I did miss Will's seriousness
playing of Jack's craziness but it was ok and I enjoyed it anyway
Now if you felt burned by the 3rd but still loved the series give this
a watch it is more a kin to the first with plenty of silliness and fun.

Also there is another bit of wackiness after the credits with
Jack and Gibbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment