Saturday, May 14, 2011

Skyline (2010)




Well there isn't much to be said about this one. I went to see it basically becasue the trailers looked cool. It is basically across between ID4, the remake of War of the worlds (staring Tom Cruse ) and has a little pinch of Cloverfeild and a pinch of District 9 to round it out. your basic plot is as follows:

"Jarrod and his pregnant girlfriend Elaine travel to Los Angeles to meet his old friend and successful entrepreneur Terryand his wife Candice. After a night of partying the group is woken up by strange lights descend on the city of Los Angeles, drawing people outside like moths to a flame where an extraterrestrial force threatens to swallow the entire human population off the face of the Earth and this group must survive an alien invasion that they seemingly are thrust into."

As for the movie itself there isn't much explanation I think that was done for a reason also the same reason the movie just ended the way it did by just stopping at one point I think that this is being set up as a possible series and the actual back story will be explained in up coming films. Because the way I see it the aliens aren't just going to drop out of the sky for no reason and start tearing the place up, they want something and it will probably be reviled later on. Will Smith said it best " Look, I really don't think they flew 90 billion light years to come down here and start a fight. Get all rowdy. "

Speaking of Aliens the creature designs and ships were very impressive, imaginative and interesting . The effects as well as the action was very well done , At one point I thought the aliens were kinda stupid having not shielding on their ships and were easily taken down but these ones proved they do have some tricks of their own .
There were some nice shots and cinematography it was a bit light on story but like I said I think its the first chapter of something bigger. Also it wasn't long as long in run time as I thought it did feel longer .
I also was thinking about the alien powers wouldn't a very dark or mirrored glass/lends protect you from their "weapon"
Also I kind of understand the thing with the brains but would like to know more about the creatures anyway. This is a interesting film with nice action and good visuals I would like to see how the story unfolds.

Follow up:
While getting this post ready to put up I was on IMDb and yes this is a listing for Skyline 2
apparently it is listed for release in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment