Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Farewell to Smallville.



About 10 years ago a little show call Smallville hit televisions all about the world. The premise of the show was quite simple. It was going to tell the story of how a Teenage farm boy by the name of Clark Kent became the worlds greatest Hero know to one and all as Superman.

Now before the show started I was quite skeptical at first being a long time
fan of Superman and probably one of this greatest fans. I did not want it to be
done poorly or cheesy or have anything that would tarnish how I looked at the character. Like all fans I don't really like to much change but I like to
be open minded.

Now sadly I did not get to see it when it premiered being when it started
(in September of 2001 where I live) being that I was just went away for
college but a friend of mine tapped the first few episodes of it for when I
came home for Thanksgiving. I started watching it and I remember saying
"Wow, this is really good!" and it was it was taken seriously and was
fun and interesting. So I was hooked and I had viewed every episode
for the series 10 year run and I would have to say I enjoyed every
second of it.

Now true when the series started and went along I did have a few upsets
in the beginning. One was with faithful Chloe Sullivan.
"Chloe wasn't part of The DC Continuity she has no right to be there
rah rah rah" Yes that was me at one point Chloe to me seemed like
she was half Lois and half Lana.
Now it is true thought out the years she grew on me and I did
come to respect her as a character and did see her as an important
part of the series. This appreciation for Chloe probably came around
season 3 and into Season 4 I think and of course later on into series.

Also speaking of Season 4 when none other then Lois made her appearance
and again I was all "Its to soon for Lois in The DC Continuity she doesn't
meet him until after he becomes Superman so she has no right to be there
rah rah rah" yes its true I didn't think she was Lois until I gave her
a chance. Now after all these years later I would like to personally
say thank you to Erica Durance for being Lois Lane for being My Lois.
she became how I always pictured the character with her brash toughness
and her ability to easily get in to trouble and not be afraid to fight her way
out. for having that sassy brat attitude where if kicking you in the balls
got her the story then you better be wearing a cup, but at the same time
having that vulnerability that hides behind the toughness.

Now as for Lois and Clark together after I had gotten over the
whole her being there I started to see it and feel it and I thought
they had real chemistry it didn't feel fake it actually felt like these
two people were together and belonged together. The seemed like they were
a team like Lois and Clark are and should be, it never felt forced like it did
in say Superman Returns.
Also I did like the aspect of her knowing he was "Super" before actually
becoming Superman. I thought that was an interesting aspect to the over all
story that Lois had more of a hand in crafting Clark's dual identity then
just giving him the name.

Not only the women but everyone did so well at their parts they truly
defined these roles. Tom Welling was truly a Super man.
he in my opinion showed just how well this character can be played
even though he wasn't "Superman" until the very last episode of the
10 year run he was an excellent Superman regardless if he had a costume
or not.
Michael Rosenbaum was a brilliant Lex Luthor cold calculating, driven
and truly evil and I am so please that he returned for the final episode
it wouldn't have be able to end with out him.

Also this wasn't just a show about Clark Kent's journey to become Superman
it was a journey about the rise and creation of not only Superman but of
the DC Universe itself. With in its 10 year run we were able to see many
DCU characters enter a Live action world with in the confines of Smallville
character we would probably not be able to see anywhere else.
Characters like Zatanna, Doctor Fate, Hawkman, The Wonder Twins,
The Legion of Superheroes, Booster Gold, The Female Furies,
Green Arrow & Aquaman, Black Canary, Silver Banshee, Darkseid and
even Doomsday.. and things like the formation of the Justice League, as well as
Earth 2 and Apokolips!
That is only to name a few things.
Everything was taken seriously from Toyman, to Brainiac, to Supergirl
and that is one of the reasons why it was so good.
it was more then a show it was a fan experience and the show was truly for the fans.

So in closing I know I'm probably leaving something out or forgetting
something that I wanted to say, but I can always come back to this and
edit it later. but like I said in closing I just wanted to thank you
Smallville for the the laughs, for the smiles, for the enjoyment and
for making dreams come true.

Again Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. It was awesome! I shed a few tears too! j7wild

    ReplyDelete