Saturday, April 30, 2011

I Spit On Your Grave (2010)


This film is of course a remake of the original 1978 film
of the same title aka Day of the woman. the controversial film that pretty much shocked the world and was banned in many countrys for its scenes of the main character being repeatably raped and then getting her revenge in brutal fashion. after many years of searching for the original film I finally was able to view it and it was an ok movie, sure the rape sequences are nasty and ugly and the revenge
sequences are just the same. I still have the movie here on a disk
somewhere it was a pretty good watch, so I couldn't complain.

Now when this remake came out I thought it was kinda of odd to be remaking
this movie, its funny being that this movie achieves both angles it is
both obscure and famous at the same time..
But being that I seen the original I thought I would give this one a watch
also. Now other people were saying that this movie is so sickeningly brutal
its not to be watched if you have a weak stomach, its Genuinely repulsive.
and all those flashy buzz words. So I took up a viewing of this.

The story is pretty much the same as the original: An aspiring writer
heads out to a cabin retreat to crank out her next book hoping the piece and
quiet helps the writing process but is then set upon by some of the locals and she is
raped, humiliated, and left for dead by her attackers but she comes back and
systematically hunts them down to seek revenge.

Now while watching this if you seen the original you will notice plenty
of similarities in the both film which is very good. That is a good
way of doing things it just has enough that it seems familiar but at the
same time has enough to make it seem different. and true this
does have enough to make it different.
also one thing I liked about it before I seen the movie itself was the poster
designs for the original and the remake are almost identical I thought that
also was a great touch.

Now while watching the movie itself I would have to say that pretty much the
first half reminded me of recent films such as the remake of "Last House on the Left"
and "The Strangers" which were both pretty good movies. Now while watching this
I would have to say that what made this movie famous which was of course the
rape scene. I personally I don't think the actual rape scene was any less
or any more violent and nasty in the remake then it was in the original
I think they were pretty much the same. True the lead up to that scene in the
remake is a little more disturbing then it was in the original but still I think
the actual thing was about equal in both version.

Now one thing I didn't really get in the remake is the time laps after the
guys leave her pretty much for dead she disappears for over a month?
where did she go? did she live out in the woods for over a month plotting
her revenge? I didn't get that part. from what I understood in the original
it all happened over a matter of a few days but in this one it takes a lot longer
I just thought that was a bit odd and pretty much the only problem I had with this
movie.

Now one thing that is different about this and the original was the kills.
I would have to say that they were far more brutal and horrible then the original
ones. Especially the thing with the guys eyelids that was pretty crazy
but what made it worse was when the crows show up and started pecking way.
but the kills were far more interesting then in the original and they even
bring back the hedge clippers and yes they are used in the same fashion
I also think the Remake had a somewhat better and more evil ending
it seem more satisfying in a way.

Now all I can say is I didn't think it was a bad movie if you seen
the original then give this a watch. if you are squeamish and can't
handle the simulated rape then don't watch this.

No comments:

Post a Comment