Saturday, September 10, 2011

Green Lantern (2011)


"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Now this one was talked about for meany years
and there was some pretty stupid Ideas out there
like Jack Black in the lead role..
but thankfully none of them came to pass.

Just like Iron Man I would have to say I always
knew that this one would be made but I was more
of a not if but when will it be made.
and it looks like now is the time, Now is the time
for Green Lantern to shine and shine it did!

Personally I thought this was a very well done and put together film for
it first outing tackling the origin story and they did hit all the key point
and there was some good explanation in there for people who would not
be familiar with the story of Green Lantern.

The story in my view was pretty simple but some what classic in away
This hot shot guy is chosen and given a great responsibility, He faulters
and succumb to some self doubt about who he is and his abilities after
becoming a small fish in a big pond, but in the end rises to the occasion
and saves all life and earns his place with his new found strength.

I felt there was some nice acting in here but it has to get rolling.
At first I didn't like Blake Lively (Carol Ferris) I felt she was kind
of stiff at the start when we first meet her but as the film goes on
she shakes some of that stiffness off and does become likeable.

As for Ryan Reynolds I never pictured him as Hal Jordan I always seen
him as more as Barry Allen aka the Flash then Green Lantern but I would
have to say he did do pretty good in this role and I did like him as Hal and
he did look the part.

Peter Sarsgaard (Hector Hammond) as well as Mark Strong's Sinestro
were impressive as well. Hammond's pain and suffering is very well
done in he sells me completely on the torment he is feeling
even thought his origin Differs from his Comic Book origins slightly,
he was in my view well portrayed.
As for Strong's Sinestro he is very well played and portrayed just the
way I would think he would be as a respectable member of the Green Lantern Corps,
who is dedicated to his duty with benevolent intentions to defeat Parallax.
After facing defeat from the Monster he Implores the Guardians to construct
a yellow ring to fend off the Parallax creature but when it not needed
it is put away. but..it is not forgotten especially by Sinestro and
with in his hands it leads to his fall from grace.

Now I didn't want to jump right into this right away but I must say
The visuals on this film were amazing, but surprisingly I didn't find
it was over loaded with visuals and CG sure there was alot you couldn't do in
this film with out it, but I felt the effects were either story or scene driven.
I did feel that it wasn't "flashy" for the sake of being "Flashy"
feel it didn't come off as that.

Now speaking from a purely fan point of view the visual effects did kind
of hinder the rest of the movie just a touch becasue like I said from
a fan and design point of view I could care less about what was happening
on Earth I wanted to see more of the crazy creatures
and more of the aliens and all that stuff I wanted to see everything
up close an in amazing detail, All of Oa and all the members of the Core.
and the film is trying to tell you a story and all you are thinking is
go back and show me more of this and that, so it does hinder
it in that way.

Because the design of this film as well as the visual effects were
I hate to use this term "out of this world" but they truly were.
Personally I loved Hal's suit alot of people complained about it
but I thought it was impressive especially when it was "alive"
and the energy is flowing off it or coursing about it.

I thought that was an very good effect it gave it more weight
and made it feel more like it was alien technology.
Also the looks for familiar characters such as the Guardians and
Tomar-Re, Kilowog were very well done I was very impressed
and one of the things I was looking forward to was Kilowog
calling someone a "Poozer" (which means "useless rookie")
and when he did I was happy at that and it did make me smile

Also there was a bit of nice humor in this and a few nice jokes
but there was more action and battles with some slick effects
then comedy. but in the end I enjoyed the movie it was
fun and exciting and pretty much how I seen Green Lantern in
my head so that is all good for me.

Also Watch after the credits, for a bit of a tease.

No comments:

Post a Comment